The moving timetable
Here are some basic steps and time frames to assist you with your moving plans.
4 weeks before the move
- Do-it-yourself movers — line up access to packing materials such as furniture pads, hand truck, dolly, packing tape (to tape doors closed and cords up), nylon packing string and rope, scissors, markers and utility knife. And, begin packing.
- Clean or repair any appliances that need it
- Use up perishables — such as food in the freezer
- Transfer all prescriptions to your new pharmacy
- Change any magazine subscriptions
- Make copies of important documents: school records, insurance, driver’s registration, etc.
- Have rugs (and possibly drapes, if you have negotiated to keep them as an “exclusion” in the contract) cleaned and keep them in bags until the mover arrives
- Collect all items being repaired, cleaned or stored
4 days before the move
- Pack suitcases for the trip to your new house (even if you are only moving from one part of Silicon Valley to the next, it will make things easier for you if you do this!). Put in extra clothes for emergencies.
- Pack an “Instant Aid” box containing things you’ll need upon arrival: sponges, paper towels, laundry detergent, paper plates, toothpaste, light bulbs, hammer, trash bags, hand soap, toilet paper, scissors, utility knife, coffee cups, tea kettle, snacks, pencils and paper, masking tape, bath towels and shelf-lining materials – not to mention toilet paper and santitizer!
- Defrost the refrigerator and freezer so they can dry at least 24 hours before the new owners arrive (if you are planning to leave them as part of the transaction)
- Make an inventory of every item and box to be loaded onto the truck. It is a good idea to videotape your possessions as well, especially for longer moves.
- Set aside valuables and legal documents to go with you, not in the moving van
- Take the telephone directory with you as well as important telephone numbers
- Contact your local post office and arrange to have your mail forwarded to your new address
1 day before the move
- Point out to packers any extra-fragile items needing special attention. Mark any items you do not want moved. Remember movers pack everything — even the garbage.
- Leave mirrors and pictures on the wall for the movers to pack
- Leave beds assembled; take off sheets and blankets
- Unplug all TV sets 24 hours in advance so they will be at room temperature the day of the move. Moving a set in which heat is retained could damage internal parts.
- Do-it-yourself movers finish packing
- Do-it-yourself movers should pick up the truck early
- If using movers, use your inventory list to ensure that all items are loaded on the truck
- Let the mover know where you can be reached
- Before you sign it, read the bill of lading. Keep it in a safe place until furnishings are delivered, charges are paid and claims are settled.
- Check items off your list as the movers are unloading them
- Make sure utilities are hooked up
- Be on hand to answer questions, make necessary payment arrangements, give directions and examine your furnishings
Are we missing anything here? I have another moving checklist on my popehandy.com website too – check it out “just in case”.